The County Programs Service Line is comprised of a variety of county-based programs that are offered across the state of Pennsylvania. The services listed are not available in all SAM locations. If you are seeking specific information or if you are unsure of your options, please contact your local SAM office to determine how we may be able to assist you in accomplishing your goals.
Base Service Unit – The Base Service Units within SAM, Inc. involve activities related to authorizations for many types of county-funded services. The Base Service Units offer walk-in services for consumers who need information and referrals for services in their communities. The services offered by the Base Service Units vary by location that you may access those services by walking into the office, call the office, or by completing the Intake Screening Form electronically at this link: https://sam-inc.org/intake/. The Base Service Units are currently located in the following counties: Berks, Schuylkill, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Juniata, Clearfield, Jefferson, and Tioga.
- Intake Services- Service, Access, & Management, Inc. offers a wide variety of Intake Services which are unique to each of the human service programs we provide. The purpose of the Intake meeting is to gather information about the individual seeking service and to make a determination regarding eligibility. The Intake process generally includes a meeting with an Intake Worker, or one of the staff working within a program. The Intake staff can offer information on eligibility for services, but also offer information and referrals to other community programs. This meeting may take place as a walk-in at a SAM office or within the community based on the needs and preferences of the individuals. Because Intake Services are unique to each SAM location and program, it’s best to contact the Site for the County in which you reside. You will then be provided information on the location of the Intake, the hours of Intake, the information you need to bring with you to the Intake, as well as whether you’ll need an appointment for the Intake.
- Administrative Case Management – Administrative Case Management (ACM) services are offered to individuals who have mental health diagnoses and are involved with placements outside of their homes. The ACM services are typically provided to those individuals during their treatment in state hospitals or while in residential treatment facilities. The goal of the service is to monitor cases and assist in treatment planning so that we can coordinate with providers to make referrals in an effort to transition the individuals back to their homes once their treatment has completed.
Crisis Intervention & Emergency Services - Service Access and Management, Inc. provides Crisis Intervention for Berks County. Anyone in Berks County, residents or visitors, can call the contact information listed and talk to someone who can help. If you have been experiencing depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts, or if you don't know what to do or who to turn to, SAM can help!
Depending on an individual's needs and situation, SAM can provide crisis intervention through:
- telephone contact at 610-236-0530
- By texting ruOK to 484-816-ruOK (7865)
- Online at www.txtaboutit.net/sam
- face-to-face contacts in the community through mobile outreach
- face-to-face contacts at SAM Crisis Centers in Berks County
- face-to-face contacts at a local hospital's Emergency Care Unit
SAM's Crisis Intervention will use problem solving, support, and referrals to help you to resolve or work through your crisis. If necessary, SAM will provide consultation and assessment to identify mental health problems and needs. We will also provide options for mental health treatment or other interventions and community services.
Emergency Services are conducted on behalf of the county MH/IDD/EI Offices where they are offered. These services are in place to assure accurate and appropriate administration of the Mental Health Procedures Act of 1976 as it relates to involuntary admissions. Crisis Intervention and Emergency Services are operated in collaboration with the local hospitals and other community partners.
Crisis Intervention services are only offered in Berks County. Emergency Services are offered on behalf of the respective counties in these locations: Berks, Tioga, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Juniata, and Centre Counties.
Mental Health Veterans’ Coordination Services - SAM's Mental Health Veterans' Coordination Services program will offer assistance to individuals who have served in the Armed Forces. The program helps vets with their recovery from mental illness.
Veterans' Coordination Services is headquartered at the SAM DuBois site. The program currently is offered in Clearfield and Jefferson counties. Program Coordinators provide professional support, hope, encouragement, and assistance. Veterans Coordination will help veterans identify their personal preferences, needs, and goals and work with them to achieve the most independent and fulfilling life possible.
Housing Assistance Programs - Service Access & Management, Inc., offers a variety of Housing Assistance programs to assist individuals and families with the variety of tasks necessary to find and maintain appropriate living arrangements. These programs have certain requirements that individuals and families must meet in order to qualify for a particular program. Please call the SAM location in your county to determine what housing assistance programs are available to determine what services you may qualify to receive.
Not all SAM Site locations offer Housing Assistance. Please see the links below to determine which SAM Sites offer Housing Assistance Programs. SAM Site Housing Assistance Programs are offered at the following SAM Site locations: Berks, Schuylkill, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Juniata, and Tioga.